Know what permits you need to fix up your home

If you’re thinking of fixing up your home in Edmonton, there are several permits and licenses you need to know about before you begin your projects, additions and repairs.

Edmonton requires that all existing households must obtain permits and licenses whenever a new building or structure is added to the property, including things like gazebos, fences, and satellite dishes. If you’re doing construction that alters the interior or exterior of the home, modifying the overall size of the existing building, you’ll need a permit. A permit is also required when you renovate a room to create rentable space.

Edmonton has standards outlined in the City of Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw. These standards deal with size, height, side yard distances, and setback rules. The Alberta Building Code standards also apply. So, if you’re thinking of adding a bay window, or a whole new room to a structure, you’ll need to apply for a permit. Even things like finishing a basement or removing walls may need permits. If the City of Edmonton finds out new construction or alterations were made to a structure before permits were obtained, then permit fees double.

The following is a list of home improvements that require a permit in Edmonton:

  • Addition or Covered/Uncovered Deck
  • Basement Development
  • Garage or Carport (attached or detached from house)
  • Hot Tub
  • Pond
  • Satellite Dish
  • Secondary Suites (incl. garage suites and garden suites)
  • Shed or Gazebo (stand alone structure)
  • Swimming Pool

Also, if there’s work to be done regarding plumbing, gas, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, sewers/water, and/or electrical, you should inquire about permits.

Some alterations do not require permits. When renovations are done to a property without altering any part of the structure, permits are not required. This applies to:

  • Re-roofing with the same type of materials
  • Painting and re-tiling
  • Carpet replacement
  • Counter top replacement
  • Cupboard door alterations
  • Window replacement (for same size)
  • Door replacement (for same size)

To find out more information, contact the Current Planning Service Centre by calling 311 in Edmonton. Outside Edmonton, it’s 780-442-5311. You can also visit their Sustainable Development office in person, located on the 5th Floor at 10250 – 101 St. in Edmonton; hours are Monday thru Friday from 8am ‘til 4:30pm.



Post by

Recent Post

For those of you seeking to sell your home, this article offers some good advice to make the process a little easier, in spite of

  When you’re deciding whether or not to sell your home, there are a lot of things you must consider. Is this the right decision